Thursday 24 June 2010

Outcome 3 - Personal Statment

Graphic Design is something that has intrigued me for years. After experimenting with various elements of it in high school to playing about with Photoshop and Dreamweaver for hours in the past, I have now found myself studying an HND in the subject and gaining more and more skills that I enjoy putting into creative practice. What I enjoy about Graphic design is the freedom to create and to develop ideas in to something that can be enjoyed (or critiqued) by all. When looking through magazines, watching animations and browsing websites I've always admired people's skills and work put in to creating these fantastic articles of design and this is something I've always wanted to do myself.

I have learned in the past year to use various programs such as Adobe Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, Flash and Premier. As well as advance 3D modelling programs such as 3DMax. I have also learned and taught myself a variety of different skills that link in with these areas of graphic design. Being able to incorporate Flash's Actionscrip into Dreamweaver and use a combination of CSS and Java in my web design. Creating videos and cutting music to fit with in Premier and creating advance images and effects in Photoshop and Illustrator.

My experience in working in a call centre as a team captain has given me valuable skills in managing and running a team of agents and dealing with customers and agent's alike, sorting problems and allowing my team to run as efficiently as possible. Although I work with people and my team a lot I do also have to work as an individual, allowing me to use my initiative and solve problems on my own.

I also have done a lot of volunteer work with my high school, Airdrie Academy. I helped create and design the screens for the schools pantomime every year and created posters and flyers for various school events such as school parties and sales. In my first year of collage I was also to work with my class as a team and create and design Promotional posters, tickets and menus for Motherwell College's end of year party before the college was demolished. This gave me valuable experience working with other people in a creative environment and working towards strict deadlines for an official event.

My hobbies also include using Photoshop and illustrator to edit and design pictures and images. I am also a great fan of music and enjoy playing electric and bass guitar. I play in an indie funk band every Tuesday night with my friends and enjoy playing gigs all around Glasgow. My favourite genres of music include Ambient, alternative, electro, IDM, funk and rock. I am also a big fan of online gaming and enjoy teaming up with friends and playing online together.

My skills and interest cover quite a diverse area and I feel that they will help me academically and socially in university. My goal in life is to become a graphic web designer and I believe that this course would bring me closer to achieving that goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment